Advanced Navigation Clinic
Sat., December 8, 2012-8 of 12 spot available
Sat., December 14, 2013-12 of 12 spot available
The Odyssey Advanced Land Navigation Clinic will be information packed day of compass, topographical map study and orienteering in Roanoke. This will be an fun day consisting of minimum classroom study with more emphasis on day and night field work. You will learn from knowledgeable instructors with years of adventure racing, hiking and backcountry experience. You will learn techniques that are proven to work and more importantly how to work together with a team to navigate successfully.
There will be 2 hours of classroom instruction and 6-8 hours of field work finding plotted points using the skills you have learned. We will cover between 8-10 miles, on foot at a slow and learning pace, mostly off trail through thick brush, open forest and steep hillsides.
The Odyssey Advanced Navigation Clinic will explain:
- Techniques to use to know where you are at on your map at all times
- What to do if you have lost contact with your map
- Teach how to transition from one map to other and keep all the information flowing
- How to use terrain features, compass, and altimeter figure out your location
- Advanced route selection techniques
- When to use pace count verses time verses terrain features or all at the same time
- Teach how to use land features to your advantage during the day and night
- Night time navigation techniques
- How and when to use intentional offset, triangulation
It is HIGHLY Recommended that you have completed and Odyssey Land Navigation Clinic, Odyssey Adventure Racing Academy, or some other navigation course before registering for this clinic. You will need to know and have practice these follow skills. We will spend little if any time on the teaching these skills.
- Know the different types of maps
- Know different types of map scales
- Teach how to use all the information on a topographical map
- Identify land features on a map
- Teach how to identify land features in the field
- Teach how to use a compass and its different features
- Understand and use declination
- Teach how to measure and plot a bearing on the map
- Teach how to take and follow a bearing in the field
- Teach how to plot UTMs (Universal Transverse Mercator)
- Teach how to make and use a plotting tool for a map of any scale
Saturday, December 8, 2012
Saturday, December 14, 2013
1813 E Main St
Salem, VA 24153
Trek 8-10 miles
Resigtration close a week before the event date.
12:00noon - Check in and paper work
12:15 -2:00 - Land Navigation Clinic starts. This will be the class room part of the clinic.
3:00-10:00 - Land Day Navigation (finding points in the woods)
From Exit 141 of Interstate 81, exit south on Route 419 (Electric Road) and turn left at the second traffic light, which is East Main Street (Route 460).
Come east on Main Street just two blocks past the Electric Road intersection, and turn left on Hillmont Drive to the main parking lot just pass to two visitor parking lots. We will be in the room that you will be able to see as you turn into the parking lot.
Salem, VA hotels and motels
The clinic will be held both inside and outside, rain or shine, plan and dress accordingly.
- Compass with adjustable declination (Sunnto M-3, Sunnto GPS Plotter)
- Map case (Splash Caddy)
- Pen and pencil
- Highlighter pens
- Colored pencils (optional)
- Hydration system (50-70 oz bladder- Camelback) or (2-20 oz water bottles)
- A pack (to carry hydration system and gear)
- Long pants
- Long sleeve shirt
- Light weight jacket
- Running shoes or boots
- Food for the field work
Thank you for your interest in the Odyssey Land Navigation Clinic presented by Next Level Coaching and Fitness. Ronny Angell will be the instructor for this event. The cost is $150/person.
A minimum of 4 people will be required to hold the clinic. No refunds will be allowed unless clinic is canceled. Payments can be rolled over to other navigation clinic if clinic is canceled.
We offer two methods of payment. One option is mailing in a check. Make check payable to:
PO Box 464
Salem, VA 24153
The payment will need to be received no later 7 days before the start of the event. If you choose this option contact Ronny at firstname.lastname@example.org to check availability.
The second option is with a credit card through Pay Pal. Click the “Buy Now” button to pay online. There will be a processing charge of $4.79. Note the date of the clinic.
* No Odyssey Discounts or Credits can be used with this event.